Tips and Resources

When international engineering graduates go through the process of considering and applying for licensure as an engineer in Canada, they often have the same questions. On the below pages, you’ll find valuable information we’ve gathered that can help make the process of applying run more smoothly.

  • Our glossary explains key terms you may encounter when gathering information on applying for licensure or looking for engineering work in Canada
  • Our video archive shares the stories from international engineering graduates who have successfully become engineers in Canada

Other useful resources for living in Canada

To find out about life in Canada it is highly recommended that you visit these websites which are external to Engineers Canada and will help you decide where you want to live and work.

Please note that all of the above information is intended for general, informational purposes only. Engineers Canada is not an immigrant-serving agency and is not involved in the immigration process.

Other useful resources for working in Canada

There are other resources available to help improve your understanding of the Canadian workplace:

  • Prepare to Work will help you gather information about living and working in Canada, and improving language competency.
  • Immigrant serving agencies provide guidance to newcomers to Canada on finding a place to live, getting language training, finding a job, and more. You can visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s website to learn more about Canada’s provinces and territories and the newcomer services each of them offer.
  • Mentoring programs exist to connect you to a mentor—an experienced licensed engineer who can provide guidance and supervision related to your professional career. Check with the engineering regulator in the province or territory you want to work for more information on whether they have such a program.
  • Our Engineering in Canada – Fact Sheets, available in 11 languages, presents general information and important resources about becoming an engineer in Canada


Related Information

Find your provincial or territorial regulator

To work as a professional engineer in one of Canada's provinces or territories, you must receive a licence from that province or territory's engineering association.