Immigrating to Canada

To immigrate to Canada, you must apply through Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The most important thing to know is that the immigration process is separate from the engineering licensure process. Some elements of the immigration process, such as education credential assessments, are not sufficient to automatically qualify you for licensure in Canada. To fully understand the licensure process, please visit How to apply. For more information on the differences between qualifying for immigration and qualifying for licensure, please see this page on Educational Credential Assessment and the section called “Regulatory bodies” on Get your credentials assessed in Canada.

When you are preparing to immigrate to Canada, there are many resources available to help you learn more and take the next step. Please note that Information presented below is for general, informational purposes only. Engineers Canada is not an immigrant-serving agency and is not involved in the immigration process.

Come to Canada tool

The Come to Canada tool helps you determine your eligibility to immigrate. It also offers information about Canada’s immigration programs, and can help you understand how to visit, study, or live in Canada.

Immigrant serving agencies

Immigrant serving agencies provide guidance to newcomers to Canada on finding a place to live, getting language training, finding a job and more. Immigration and Citizenship Canada offers a list of newcomer services in each province and territory.

Integration Program

The Canadian Immigrant Integration Program (CIIP) is offered in certain locations outside of Canada. This program can help you:

  • Learn about economic trends, job requirements, occupational demands, foreign credential assessment and licensing processes, workplace culture, and job search techniques
  • Initiate steps to get licensed or upgrade your skills and start your job search

CIIP services include a free one-day orientation workshop, an individual planning session, and immediate contact with employers and others in Canada who can provide online advice and guidance before you immigrate.

What else you need to know

  • The immigration selection process is separate from the engineering licensure process
  • Numerous pre-arrival services exist to assist immigrants in preparing to move to Canada.
  • Immigration rules in Canada do occasionally change, so it is wise to make sure you have the most up-to-date information.
  • Services or individuals calling themselves “immigration consultants” are not always legitimate. To protect yourself against fraud and get correct information about the immigration process from a trusted source, you can visit Immigrate to Canada and learn more about immigration and citizenship representatives. If you want to use such a service, it is in your interest to contact others who have used them.
  • Canada has multiple provinces and territories. When considering a move, you should think about where your skills will be in demand, and what lifestyle will best suit your needs.

Find your provincial or territorial regulator

To work as a professional engineer in one of Canada's provinces or territories, you must receive a licence from that province or territory's engineering association.