Practising engineering in Canada

To be a licensed engineer in Canada, you must be licensed by one of Canada’s provincial or territorial engineering regulators. However, you can still work in engineering—even if you haven’t been licensed by a regulator—as long as you are supervised by a licensed engineer, who takes professional responsibility for your work.

Canada’s engineering regulators

Each province or territory in Canada falls under the jurisdiction of one of Canada’s twelve engineering regulators. These organizations regulate every aspect of the engineering profession in Canada and grant engineering licences. If you intend to apply to become an engineer in Canada, you should contact the regulator in the province or territory where you would like to work. The regulator will answer any questions you may have about its regulations or official policies.

Engineers-in-training versus licensed engineers

There are key differences between Engineers-in-Training and licensed engineers:

  • Engineer-in-training (known in Quebec as a Candidate to the Engineering Profession) – This status indicates that the first step in the licensing process has been completed by satisfying the education requirements and meeting the good character requirements. Engineers-in-training are working toward gaining the four years of engineering work experience they need—including one year of equivalent Canadian experience—to become a licensed engineer.
  • Licensed engineer – With this, you will be licensed to practise professional engineering in your area of expertise and take full responsibility for your own work. You do not need to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada to become a licensed engineer. However, your status may affect the type of licence you are eligible to obtain (e.g. professional engineer or limited licence engineer).

Learn about the list of licenses and associated titles issued by the engineering regulators in Canada. For specific requirements or information on their type of licences, visit the regulator’s website.

Calling yourself an engineer

When you have been licensed by one of Canada’s regulators, you are allowed to call yourself and engineer and use the reserved title for your licence type (e.g. P.Eng.). Use of an engineering title without a licence is prohibited.

Related Information

Real insights and experiences

Advice from others

Explore our video library

Find your provincial or territorial regulator

To work as a professional engineer in one of Canada's provinces or territories, you must receive a licence from that province or territory's engineering association.